Surah Nuh In Arabic
إِنَّا أَرْسَلْنَا نُوحًا إِلَىٰ قَوْمِهِ أَنْ أَنْذِرْ قَوْمَكَ مِنْ قَبْلِ أَنْ يَأْتِيَهُمْ عَذَابٌ أَلِيمٌ ﴿1﴾ قَالَ يَا قَوْمِ إِنِّي لَكُمْ نَذِيرٌ مُبِينٌ ﴿2﴾ أَنِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَاتَّقُوهُ وَأَطِيعُونِ ﴿3﴾ يَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ مِنْ ذُنُوبِكُمْ وَيُؤَخِّرْكُمْ إِلَىٰ أَجَلٍ مُسَمًّى ۚ إِنَّ أَجَلَ اللَّهِ إِذَا جَاءَ لَا يُؤَخَّرُ ۖ لَوْ كُنْتُمْ تَعْلَمُونَ ﴿4﴾ قَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّي دَعَوْتُ قَوْمِي لَيْلًا وَنَهَارًا ﴿5﴾ فَلَمْ يَزِدْهُمْ دُعَائِي إِلَّا فِرَارًا ﴿6﴾ وَإِنِّي كُلَّمَا دَعَوْتُهُمْ لِتَغْفِرَ لَهُمْ جَعَلُوا أَصَابِعَهُمْ فِي آذَانِهِمْ وَاسْتَغْشَوْا ثِيَابَهُمْ وَأَصَرُّوا وَاسْتَكْبَرُوا اسْتِكْبَارًا ﴿7﴾ ثُمَّ إِنِّي دَعَوْتُهُمْ جِهَارًا ﴿8﴾ ثُمَّ إِنِّي أَعْلَنْتُ لَهُمْ وَأَسْرَرْتُ لَهُمْ إِسْرَارًا ﴿9﴾ فَقُلْتُ اسْتَغْفِرُوا رَبَّكُمْ إِنَّهُ كَانَ غَفَّارًا ﴿10﴾ يُرْسِلِ السَّمَاءَ عَلَيْكُمْ مِدْرَارًا ﴿11﴾ وَيُمْدِدْكُمْ بِأَمْوَالٍ وَبَنِينَ وَيَجْعَلْ لَكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ وَيَجْعَلْ لَكُمْ أَنْهَارًا ﴿12﴾ مَا لَكُمْ لَا تَرْجُونَ لِلَّهِ وَقَارًا ﴿13﴾ وَقَدْ خَلَقَكُمْ أَطْوَارًا ﴿14﴾ أَلَمْ تَرَوْا كَيْفَ خَلَقَ اللَّهُ سَبْعَ سَمَاوَاتٍ طِبَاقًا ﴿15﴾ وَجَعَلَ الْقَمَرَ فِيهِنَّ نُورًا وَجَعَلَ الشَّمْسَ سِرَاجًا ﴿16﴾ وَاللَّهُ أَنْبَتَكُمْ مِنَ الْأَرْضِ نَبَاتًا ﴿17﴾ ثُمَّ يُعِيدُكُمْ فِيهَا وَيُخْرِجُكُمْ إِخْرَاجًا ﴿18﴾ وَاللَّهُ جَعَلَ لَكُمُ الْأَرْضَ بِسَاطًا ﴿19﴾ لِتَسْلُكُوا مِنْهَا سُبُلًا فِجَاجًا ﴿20﴾ قَالَ نُوحٌ رَبِّ إِنَّهُمْ عَصَوْنِي وَاتَّبَعُوا مَنْ لَمْ يَزِدْهُ مَالُهُ وَوَلَدُهُ إِلَّا خَسَارًا ﴿21﴾ وَمَكَرُوا مَكْرًا كُبَّارًا ﴿22﴾ وَقَالُوا لَا تَذَرُنَّ آلِهَتَكُمْ وَلَا تَذَرُنَّ وَدًّا وَلَا سُوَاعًا وَلَا يَغُوثَ وَيَعُوقَ وَنَسْرًا ﴿23﴾ وَقَدْ أَضَلُّوا كَثِيرًا ۖ وَلَا تَزِدِ الظَّالِمِينَ إِلَّا ضَلَالًا ﴿24﴾ مِمَّا خَطِيئَاتِهِمْ أُغْرِقُوا فَأُدْخِلُوا نَارًا فَلَمْ يَجِدُوا لَهُمْ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ أَنْصَارًا ﴿25﴾ وَقَالَ نُوحٌ رَبِّ لَا تَذَرْ عَلَى الْأَرْضِ مِنَ الْكَافِرِينَ دَيَّارًا ﴿26﴾ إِنَّكَ إِنْ تَذَرْهُمْ يُضِلُّوا عِبَادَكَ وَلَا يَلِدُوا إِلَّا فَاجِرًا كَفَّارًا ﴿27﴾ رَبِّ اغْفِرْ لِي وَلِوَالِدَيَّ وَلِمَنْ دَخَلَ بَيْتِيَ مُؤْمِنًا وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ وَلَا تَزِدِ الظَّالِمِينَ إِلَّا تَبَارًا ﴿28﴾
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Innaaa arsalnaa Noohan ilaa qawmihee an anzir qawmaka min qabli any yaatiyahum ‘azaabun aleem
- Qaala yaa qawmi innee lakum nazeerum mubeen
- Ani’-budul laaha watta qoohu wa atee’oon
- Yaghfir lakum min zunoobikum wa yu’akhkhirkum ilaaa ajalim musammaa; innaa ajalal laahi izaa jaaa’a laa yu’akhkhar; law kuntum ta’lamoon
- Qaala rabbi innee da’awtu qawmee lailanw wa naharaa
- Falam yazid hum du’aaa ‘eee illaa firaaraa
- Wa inee kullamaa da’awtuhum litaghfira lahum ja’alooo asaabi’ahum fee aazaanihim wastaghshaw siyaabahum wa asaarroo wastakbarus tikbaaraa
- Summa innee da’aw tuhum jihaara
- Summaa inneee a’lantu lahum wa asrartu lahum israaraa
- Faqultus taghfiroo Rabakum innahoo kaana Ghaffaaraa
- Yursilis samaaa’a ‘alaikum midraaraa
- Wa yumdidkum bi am waalinw wa baneena wa yaj’al lakum Jannaatinw wa yaj’al lakum anhaaraa
- Maa lakum laa tarjoona lillaahi waqaaraa
- Wa qad khalaqakum at waaraa
- Alam taraw kaifa khalaqal laahu sab’a samaawaatin tibaaqaa
- Wa ja’alal qamara feehinna nooranw wa ja’alash shamsa siraajaa
- Wallaahu ambatakum minal ardi nabaataa
- Summa yu’eedukum feehaa wa yukhrijukum ikhraajaa
- Wallaahu ja’ala lakumul arda bisaataa
- Litaslukoo minhaa subulan fijaajaa
- Qaala Noohur Rabbi innahum ‘asawnee wattaba’oo mal lam yazid hu maaluhoo wa waladuhooo illaa khasaara
- Wa makaroo makran kubbaaraa
- Wa qaaloo laa tazarunna aalihatakum wa laa tazarunna Waddanw wa laa Suwaa’anw wa laa Yaghoosa wa Ya’ooqa wa Nasraa
- Wa qad adalloo kasee ranw wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa dalaalaa
- Mimmaa khateee’ aatihim ughriqoo fa udkhiloo Naaran falam yajidoo lahum min doonil laahi ansaaraa
- Wa qaala Noohur Rabbi laa tazar ‘alal ardi minal kaafireena daiyaaraa
- Innaka in tazarhum yudil loo ‘ibaadaka wa laa yalidooo illaa faajiran kaffaaraa
- Rabbigh fir lee wa liwaa lidaiya wa liman dakhala baitiya mu’minanw wa lil mu’mineena wal mu’minaati wa laa tazidiz zaalimeena illaa tabaaraa
In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
- We sent NuH to his people (and said to him) : :Warn your people before a painful punishment comes to them.
- He said, :O my people, I openly warn you
- that you must worship Allah, and fear Him, and obey me,
- and Allah will forgive you your sins, and will respite you to an appointed term. Indeed when Allah‘s term comes, it is not deferred, if you only know!
- He said, :My Lord, I have called my people night and day,
- but my call added only to their flight (from the truth) .
- Whenever I called them, so that You might forgive them, they put their fingers into their ears, and wrapped their clothes around themselves, and grew obstinate, and waxed proud in extreme arrogance.
- Then I called them loudly,
- and then I spoke to them in public and spoke to them in private.
- So I said, _Pray to your Lord for your forgiveness,__ Indeed He is Very-Forgiving, __
- and He will cause the heavens to rain upon you in abundance,
- and will help you with riches and sons, and will cause gardens to grow for you, and cause rivers to flow for you.
- What has happened to you that you do not appreciate the Majesty of Allah,
- while He has created you in different phases?
- Did you not see how Allah has created seven heavens one upon another,
- and has made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp?
- And Allah has caused you to grow well out of the earth,
- then He will send you back into it, and will bring you forth once again.
- And Allah has made the earth a spread for you,
- so that you may go about its broad ways.‘
- And said NuH, :My Lord, they disobeyed me, and followed him whose wealth and children added nothing to him but loss,
- and they devised a mighty plot,
- and said (to their people) , :Never forsake your gods, and never forsake Wadd, nor Suwa’, nor Yaghuth and Ya’uq and Nasr.
- And they have led many astray. And ( O my Lord,) let not the wrongdoers progress in anything but deviation from the right path.
- Because of their sins they were drowned, and then admitted into the Fire. So they found no helpers for them besides Allah.
- And said NuH, :My Lord, do not leave on earth even a single inhabitant (surviving) out of the disbelievers.
- If You leave them (surviving) , they will lead Your servants astray, and will beget none but a sinful disbeliever.
- My Lord, grant pardon to me, and to my parents, and to everyone who enters my home as a believer, and to all the believing men and believing women, and do not increase the wrongdoers but in ruin.
يَغْفِرْ لَكُم مِّن ذُنُوبِكُمْ and Allah will forgive you your sins, 71:4). The particle min is often used to indicate division into parts, that is, to refer to only a part of an amount, group or number. If it is taken in that sense here, it would signify that by embracing the faith only those sins would be forgiven which pertains to the Divine rights because violation of human rights would be forgiven only when the believer fulfills the human rights which he has violated [ such as pecuniary obligations ] and if they cannot be fulfilled [ such as hurting somebody physically or verbally ], then the person who has been so hurt must first be requested to forgive.
The hadith which reports that by embracing the faith all sins are forgiven must be understood in the light of the foregoing explanation. In other words, the hadith has the same conditions attached to it as the verse under comment, that is, violation of the rights of the human beings is not forgiven except upon fulfillment of those rights or seeking forgiveness from the victims of that violation. Other scholars of Tafsir interpret the particle min as za’idah, (having no meaning, and added only because of usage). In this way, it signifies that all their sins would be forgiven. However, on the basis of other texts, this general expression is subject to the conditions mentioned above.
﴿لَمْ تَرَوْا كَيْفَ خَلَقَ اللَّـهُ سَبْعَ سَمَاوَاتٍ طِبَاقًا وَجَعَلَ الْقَمَرَ فِيهِنَّ نُورًا﴾
(Did you not see how Allah has created seven heavens one upon another, and has made the moon a light therein? ….71:15-16)
These verses are adduced as proof positive of Divine Oneness and His power. He has created seven heavens, one on top of the other, and placed the moon as a light in them. The prepositional phrase in the verse apparently indicates that the moon is placed in the body of the heavens. The subject is fully discussed in Surah Al-Furqan under the following verse:
﴿تَبَارَكَ الَّذِي جَعَلَ فِي السَّمَاءِ بُرُوجًا وَجَعَلَ فِيهَا سِرَاجًا وَقَمَرًا مُّنِيرًا﴾
Glorious is the One who made stellar formations in the sky and placed therein a lamp (sun) and a bright moon. [ 25:61] Complaining about his people, Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) said:
وَمَكَرُوا مَكْرًا كُبَّارًا (and they devised an enormous plan….71:22). In other words, they hatched a mighty plot. They rejected the message and persecuted Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) . In addition, they let loose hooligans and hoodlums on him. They agreed that they will not abandon their gods, especially the five major idols whose names appear in the following verse:
لَا تَذَرُنَّ آلِهَتَكُمْ وَلَا تَذَرُنَّ وَدًّا وَلَا سُوَاعًا وَلَا يَغُوثَ وَيَعُوقَ وَنَسْرًا (and never forsake Wadd, nor Suwa’, nor yaghuth and Ya` uq and Nasr…71:23). Imam Baghawi reports that these five were in fact righteous servants of Allah who lived in the intervening period between Prophets ‘Adam and Nuh (عليهما السلام) .
There were many people who held them in high regard and followed their footsteps. Even after their death, they followed their footsteps and complied with Divine injunctions. A while later, Shaitan misled them. He put it to them that if they make pictures of their righteous elders and place them in front, their worship would be perfect and they would attain the quality of humility and humbleness. Those people fell into the Shaitanic trap and carved statues of them and placed them in their temples. When they saw the statues of their elders, their memories were refreshed and experienced a special feeling.
That generation gradually died and a new generation came up. Satan played another trick with them. He imparted to them that the object of worship of their elders were statues and idols. They fell for this trick and worshipped them. This is the beginning of idol-worship or idolatry. People of Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) gradually got steeped in idolatry. They had many idols, the five mentioned in the verse under comment being the most popular because of the deep love they had for them.
وَلَا تَزِدِ الظَّالِمِينَ إِلَّا ضَلَالًا (…let not the wrongdoers progress in anything but deviation from the right path 71:24). This is the supplication of Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) against his people. It may not be surmised that the duty and obligation of a Prophetic office is to guide the people, but here Prophet NuhI is praying for increase in his people’s misguidance. Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) did not invoke this curse out of despair or impatience.
In fact, he invoked it when, after doing full justice to his mission for many centuries, his people chose the path of deviation, rebellion, disbelief and obstinacy and persisted in it until they had reached a point of no return, of which Allah informed him thus, ‘And it was revealed to Nuh (عليه السلام) that none of your people would ever believe except those who have already believed__ [ 11:36] ‘. This situation made it clear to him that his people would definitely and certainly die in the state of disbelief. So he prayed for their final destiny to overtake them sooner and destroy them.
مِّمَّا خَطِيئَاتِهِمْ أُغْرِقُوا فَأُدْخِلُوا نَارًا فَلَمْ يَجِدُوا لَهُم مِّن دُونِ اللَّـهِ أَنصَارًا (Because of their sins they were drowned, and then admitted into the Fire. So they found no helpers for them besides Allah…1:25). The ‘sins’ referred to here are unpardonable sins of ‘kufr and shirk’. They were drowned in water and emerged in fire, an opposing punishment which is not impossible for Divine power. Obviously, the ‘Fire’ mentioned in the verse does not refer to the fire of Hell, but refers to the fire in the realm of ‘Barzakh’ (the existence between the worldly life and the life of the Hereafter). The Qur’an speaks of the fire in the realm of ‘Barzakh’. It is evident that Sayyidna Nuh’s (عليه السلام) people will be punished in Hell-Fire in the Hereafter after resurrection and accounting for their deeds.
Qur’ an Confirms Punishment in the Grave
The verse under comment confirms that people will be punished in the realm of Barzakh, usually referring to the period of stay in the grave. This further proves that, since the evil-doers will be punished in the grave, the righteous believers will also be rewarded and blessed with favours. Authentic and successively transmitted ahadith report about the reward and punishment in the grave so abundantly and clearly that its reality cannot be denied or rejected. Therefore, there is a total agreement of the Ummah on this issue; and belief in it is the symbol of Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jami’ah.
[From Ma’ariful Quran English by Mufti Taqi Uthmani]
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.